Even if you have been driving heavy vehicles since years it is good idea to once in a while check and review safety tips. These tips can benefit all those who drive vehicles as they contain awareness regarding the basic facts about safety on the road.
Following are the top safety tips:
Maintenance of vehicle
It is very important to ensure excellent operating condition of your vehicle as many accidents are caused by vehicle malfunctions. It is absolutely essential that you check the working condition of your vehicle every time before you embark a journey and also should be checked at regular intervals while you are on the road. This involves checking the machine, tires, fluids and other parts of the vehicle.
Necessary rest and sleep for vigilant driving
Proper amount of sleep and rest is necessary for the driver and is the key safety tip. There is a reason why a driver is allowed only a certain number of hours in a day to operate a vehicle. Every driver should be fully alert while on the road and must follow this tip sincerely. Along with keeping the vehicle in proper working condition it is also important to take care of yourself. The drivers who drive their vehicle without proper sleep put themselves as well as others in danger.
Tackling blind spot
Blind spots are the areas of the road that a driver can’t see while driving a vehicle. Every heavy vehicle has a blind spot especially trucks. These spots are not even visible through side and rear view mirrors so the drivers should take extra care while changing lanes and turning. The best way to avoid problems related to blind spots is by following the traffic signals.
Distance between two vehicles
You should keep distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you no matter which type of vehicle you drive. As trucks take more time to stop than other smaller vehicles this rule is more applicable to such vehicles. It is the best way to avoid accidents caused by insufficient breaking space.
Covering the load
One of the most important safety tips is covering the heavy duty load on truck beds with truck tarps. These tarps are basically made to keep the goods safe from the weather conditions, but it is also important by rule to cover the cargo with tarps. These tarps ensure that no objects fly or fall from the truck and cause unnecessary trouble to other drivers on the road.
Obeying traffic rules
All drivers including truckers need to follow safety and other traffic rules like speed limits and seat belts. Truckers especially need to know the nationwide driving regulations and state-specific laws as they travel through different states regularly. If these rules are not followed, drivers will end up paying financial fines and the risk of accidents also increases.
Following these safety tips can keep you and other drivers safe on the road.
What is a tarp?
Tarps basically have a large and heavy blanket type structure and have multiple uses. Trailer tarps are usually made of water resistant material with grommets or D rings attached at the perimeter so that the tarp can be firmly tied down with the truck bed. Tarps are used by the truckers to secure heavy loads on the trailers and other heavy vehicles and also to protect the material from the external environment.
Main function of the truck tarp is to protect the cargo from getting damaged while in transit. It is also used as a safety measure to ensure that the items do not fly or fall from the truck and cause unnecessary trouble to other drivers on the road. Heavy vehicles have insurance policies that lessen the liabilities of the claims, as there are thousands of windshields and frontend repair claims every year caused by items flying from the trucks.
There are different types of tarps available in market, like poly tarps, canvas tarps, mesh tarps, vinyl tarps and many more. Different tarps are used to cover different materials; mesh tarps can be used to cover loose items like gravel and sand, while heavy duty vinyl tarps can be used to cover materials that need strong protection against harsh weather conditions.
How to use tarps for trucks?
It is necessary to use tarps for trucks while heavy duty cargo is being hauled over a long distance. Tarps protect your cargo from water, UV rays and road grime. The following are the steps to cover the cargo using a tarp:
- Place a tarp at the rear end of the cargo then unroll it to the middle of the cargo load. Now unfold the tarp so that the sides are covered properly. Check that the sides are evenly draped with the trap at the rear end of the cargo.
- Now place the front tarp at the front end of the cargo and repeat the procedure of unrolling and unfolding the tarp towards the rear end of the cargo. A front tarp will overlap the rear tarp up to 6 feet if the trailer is fully loaded.
- Use bungee straps or ratchet straps to tie down the cargo with the trailer. Hook one end of the straps around the trailer to all the D-rings. The other ends of straps are be hooked to the side rail of the trailer. Tuck the excess trap under the chords or straps to avoid wind whip.
If the trailer taps are appropriately used to secure the cargo many mishaps and damage caused to other vehicles on the roads can be avoided. It is important for the truck driver to understand which type of tarp is to be used to cover which type of material and he should also know how to tie down the tarps on the trailer so that the goods are secured and other drivers are safe.
Steel tarps are increasingly becoming popular because of its various advantages. These tarps are not the first tarps that come to mind while the word tarp is mentioned. People generally think of traditional canvas tarps and plastic tarps that are commonly used. But steel tarps are now gaining more popularity especially because of their various uses.
They are named steel tarps because they are mainly used to cover the cargo made of steel or metal like wires, cords, sheets etc. These tarps are not made from steel but are made from heavy duty mesh or polyethylene material. Truckers and transporters use these tarps to protect steel items from corrosion and rust.
They are also known as tarpaulins. The name tarpaulin is derived from the original reference for canvas palls covered in tar. These canvas palls were utilized to cover and protect cargo loaded on ships. Now the term is used for any waterproof sheet used to protect different types of cargos and surfaces.
The main advantage of this material is that it gives protection against grueling weather and other external factors. This tarp has grommets attached to its edges to allow tie down facility.
Advantages and uses of Steel Tarps are:
- The tarp is very large so that only one tarp is required to cover and secure load on a flatbed trailer.
- It’s a lightweight tarp so that it can be handled and maintained easily.
- Though these tarps are lightweight they are very durable and sturdy.
- Many uses of these tarps have been recognized apart from being used as trailer tarps. They are actively used at construction sites to clad new buildings and even farmers use them in many ways. These tarps have been used to cover cars as well.
- These tarps have the facility of double fastening which is not available with other tarps like lumber tarps. The grommets or D-rings are attached at every 2 feet distance so there is no need to overlap the load or use anything else to secure or cover the load.
- The material used in making this tarp can withstand harsh weather conditions and UV rays.
Steel tarp can be used to secure any kind of cargo and because of its double drop design it becomes very easy to use these tarps. Other types of tarps available in the market may be light weight and durable but cannot match the size of these tarps. A steel tarp is so large that only tarp will be needed to cover the cargo. It is not at all cumbersome to use these tarps though they are large in size as they are extremely light weight.
Recreational vehicles are very popular for going on a vacation with friends and families. RVs offer convenience, flexibility, freedom along with number of other advantages. RV allows you to enjoy the comforts of your home along with your family including your pets when you explore new places and destinations.
While RV is very useful when you want to go for vacation, it is not been used for the majority of the time. Many times you wonder what happens to your vehicle when it is not been used? And how to protect it from the external elements when it remains idle?
Well the simplest answer to your wondering or worrying is RV cover. You must use RV covers to protect your vehicle when it is not in use. Many RV owners do not have the facility of garage or storage area to protect their RV. For them the best way is to cover the vehicle with appropriate material. You cannot cover your RV with just any plastic covers you might find.
How RV covers protect your vehicle?
- When the vehicle remains idle for extended period of time, it needs protection from rain snow and other weather conditions. The recreational vehicle covers are made especially to cover and protect your vehicle from all kind of external elements like inclement weather, UV rays, moisture, wind, birds, animals, insects, dirt, dust and debris.
- RV covers are made with breathable a material that protects your vehicle’s exteriors as well as interiors. There are vent flaps which reduce inside moisture and your vehicle can resist molds and mildew.
- The best part is an RV cover can be custom made to fit the size and type of your vehicle.
- RV cover saves your time and money, as the car washing need is eliminated to a great extend. This is a great use of the cover and it is been overlooked by many. Recreational vehicle covers make the maintenance of your vehicle an easy task.
- When you remove the RV cover even after months from over your vehicle you will find your vehicle in clean and fresh and in ready to use condition. RV cover will keep your vehicle in the same condition in which you covered it. This means that you don’t need to spend time in preparing your RV for departure.
When you have invested a big fortune in buying a recreational vehicle and decorated its interiors to meet your comfort levels, it is wise to protect it by covering it with RV cover. These covers are durable and tested to deliver the required strength and protection. This means that once you invest in RV covers you do not need to worry about your vehicle for years to come.
Truckers use myriad of products to ensure the safety of the cargo that they pull. They use tarps to protect the cargo from harsh weather conditions and external elements as they have the responsibility to deliver the goods safely to its destination. Truckers also have the responsibility to tie down their cargo in such a way that is should not disturb other drivers on the road. For this the truckers need to ensure that when they drive at high speed on the highway their cargo should remain in place.
The best way to secure the cargo on a flatbed trailer is through Winch Ratchet Straps. They are made of strong polyester webbing. Ratchet strap can be used for the tying down goods on a truck, car or van.
Tips on tie down:
- The primary thing for ensuring safety of the goods and securing them on the truck bed is about arranging them properly on the platform. If the goods are arranged properly it becomes very easy for you to cover them with a tarp and then later tying the tarp and goods down on the flatbed with straps.
- Once you arrange your load on the flatbed, cover them using appropriate tarp. There are many types of tarps available in the market like lumber tarps and steel tarps. Once you choose your tarp, cover and secure you cargo, place the excess material on the corners under the load to avoid wind whip. It is very necessary to make sure that there is no scope of wind gushing through the tarp, or it will slow you down and also cause a disaster if the tarp tears.
- After you make sure that your tarp is placed properly on the cargo, you have to tie it to the flatbed using straps. Many flatbed trailers have inbuilt tie down straps, but if your truck does not have that then you can use ratchet or winch straps. These straps will make sure that your heavy duty cargo and the tarp will remain in place.
- There are different working load limits for different straps; you can use multiple straps according to the ranks of the straps. For example is your load weighs 10,000 lbs and your strap has working load limit of 500 lbs then you need to use 20 straps to secure the cargo robustly on the trailer.
For the optimum safety of your cargo and other motor drivers on the road, do not exceed the working load limit of your straps and also make sure your straps are in good shape while tying down. I understand being a truck driver you don’t want to be responsible for any mishaps or accidents caused due to materials flying off your truck.