We get a lot of questions from both new and experienced truckers about the proper use and purposes of some of our products. Two questions asked frequently are: how do I use an axle strap, and what is the floating D-ring for?
Axle straps are used by auto haulers to create securement around the car’s front or rear axles for towing or tie-down purposes. The purpose of the floating D-ring is adjustability. It’s designed so the location of the D-ring can be shifted up or down the strap, providing you the perfect length to fit around the car’s axle.
The floating D-ring comes with one hook end-fitting, which you use to clip onto the D-ring once you’ve placed the strap over the axle.
How To Use Axle Strap with a Floating D-Ring:
- Bring the hook end-fitting over the top of the vehicle’s axle.
- Once you’ve brought it around, adjust the D-ring to be as close to the axle as you can before you clip the hook to the D-ring.
- As you secure this strap, make sure the protective sleeve is snug around the axle.
- Every car is built differently, so the distance between an axle and securement points may differ from car to car. Always adjust the floating D-ring.
As previously mentioned, this strap comes with a ratchet end as well. The ratchet is used on the other end of the strap to get rid of extra slack and properly secure your vehicle.
How To Use Axle Ratchet Strap:
- After securing the strap around the axle, bring the other end of the strap through the ratchet.
- Ratchet the extra webbing until the strap is tight.
- Secure ratchet-end to your flatbed trailer or ramp.
There is another option if you do not have a way to secure the ratchet axle strap to your trailer. The dual D-ring strap comes with two D-ring end fittings and a protective sleeve. This is an alternative way to use axle straps, as you have a separate strap that goes over the vehicle’s axle and then use a hook to attach the double D-rings and secure the car.
For more trucking tips and help, visit our website for product information and purchasing! Haul Safe and Earn More with Mytee Products!