Meaning of a Chain Sling
A chain sling is an incredibly strong chain-and-hook tool used to lift cargo with a crane or towing cable.
A chain sling has a grade 100 steel alloy oblong master link. From the master link stems one, two, or three chain “legs.” The links of the chain legs are also grade 100 steel alloys. The end-fitting of each chain leg is a clevis grab hook.
Chain slings have high working load limits, but the limits differ depending on the degree angle at which the sling is lifting or towing the cargo.
Chain sling quality is standardized by the American Society in Mechanical Engineers (ASME), the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OHSA), and the National Association of Chain Manufacturers (NACM).
Typically, the cargo is secured to the chain sling on the clevis hook end, while the cable is secured to the master link end.
Why are Chain Slings Important to Have?
- Chain slings are a necessary piece of equipment if you’re going to tow a car or another vehicle, or if you’re going to use a crane to lift a piece of cargo overhead to load it onto a barge or flatbed.
- You cannot attach a crane cable or towing cable directly to the cargo if you intend to lift it.
Types of Chain Slings
The types of chain slings vary based on the grade of the chain (and, related to that grade, Working Load Limits of chain slings also vary), and based on how many legs the chain sling has.
- Some chain slings are single or one leg chains.
- Others have two chain legs; these are sometimes called “v-chains.”
- Three-legged chain slings are called “three leg slings.”
Having more than one chain and hook helps spread out the tension when you’re lifting or towing a particularly heavy piece of cargo.
How to Use a Chain Sling?
Using a chain sling in towing, rigging, or hoisting cargo is complex.
- Fortunately, the Department of Energy and the Infrastructure, Health and Safety Association of Canada have detailed, step-by-step PDF guides to using chain slings safely.
Quality Standards of Mytee’s Chain Slings
- Our chain slings are made of grade 100 steel alloys, which lets them be strong and rust-resistant.
- Like all of our products, our chain slings are affordably priced.
- At Mytee, we never waste money on a middleman, so we can pass on those saving when we sell directly to you.
- That’s how, at Mytee, you can haul safe and earn more.