When it comes to protecting your work area, Ground Protection Mats come in handy. These durable, heavy-duty mats are pretty popular in the industrial and construction industries. A Ground Protection Mat helps protect your garden or lawn from machinery, which can cause substantial damage. More importantly, they create a stable and solid surface on top of an uneven work site for people to walk on. There are a wide selection of Heavy Duty Protection Mats to choose from, ranging from uses, sizes and even colors. Though, it’s important to know which mat is right for the job.
Learn About Ground Protection Mats Material & Their Features
These heavy-duty Surface Shielding Mats are crucial in protecting the ground from heavy machinery, equipment and vehicles In addition, this ground protection matting prevents people from slipping and falling. They provide a secure ground surface to easily walk along without worrying about hurting yourself on uneven ground. Check out the features commonly found in Surface Protection Mats:
- Durable Construction: Of course, a Ground Protection Mat can’t be considered “heavy-duty” without mentioning its construction. These construction ground protection mats are made of either high-density polyethylene, composite materials or even durable rubber, which protect it from hazardous weather conditions.
- It’s All In The Design: Many may think its diamond tread patterns are just a decorative piece. Little do they know that the mat’s interlocking design plays a crucial role in its functionality. The design allows the mats to form one long and secure roadway. A Ground Protection Mats design not only improves its stability but also prevents it from shifting during usage.
- Traction Surface: Not to mention, their patterned surface provides more traction for vehicles and pedestrians. They’re referred to as “reduce slips falls mats” for a reason, as they prevent accidents from happening.
- Load Capacities: Moreover, these track mats offer various load capacities to accommodate different vehicles, equipment and load requirements. In detail, they help even out weight distribution over uneven ground, reducing the risk of sinking into the ground.
- Flexibility: Even better, these HDPE ground surface protection mats have a number of uses. They’re most commonly used on military bases, at construction sites, for landscaping projects and even at events.
- Installation & Removal: These lightweight and portable grass protection mats can be easily installed and removed. They can be deployed and repositioned without breaking a sweat. Even better, these mats have connection systems that aid along the transport of the material.
- Protecting The Ground: As the name implies, they protect the ground from damage. Believe it or not but heavy machinery can actually destroy the soil if not properly matted. Fortunately, construction protection mats act as a shield, decreasing ground disturbance, rutting and soil compaction.
- Protecting The Environment: You could also say that these heavy-duty lawn protection mats are also eco-friendly, as they shield fragile ecosystems and landscapes from vehicle and equipment usage. They also prevent soil erosion from occurring.
- Maintenance: Lastly, these surface protection mats for heavy equipment are also super easy to clean. All they require is water and a little washing detergent, and they’re good to go.
Overall, these heavy duty durable protection mats are great at helping complete various projects all while protecting the environment. It’s no wonder that they’re used in a variety of industries.
Which Mat Size Is Most Commonly Used?
While ground safety Mats are used in almost every industry you could think of, there’s only one size that really gets the job done. Typically, 4×8 ground protection mats are considered the most versatile, as they can be used everywhere, including at utility access roads.
On the environmental side, these 4×8 mats have a transparency feature that allows for UV Sun rays to reach through to the lawn, yielding grass growth. With so many benefits, it’s hard not to see why the 4×8 mats are the most commonly used styles.
Here Are The Different Types of Surface Protection Mats Based On Their Usage
Speaking of the different types of mats, here are several of the most common styles found in the market today and their various uses:
- Temporary Roadway Mats
Made from recycled tire rubber, these Lawn Protection Mats establish an access path over soft soil. You’ll find these temporary surface protection mats at construction sites.
- Heavy Equipment Surface Protection Mats
Similarly, these heavy-duty mats shield the ground from damage caused by heavy-machinery, vehicles and foot traffic. Though, they’re primarily made of polyethylene or steel and can be reused several times over without losing their integrity.
- Erosion Control Mats
On the other hand, the Erosion Control Mats heavily focus on protecting the environment. Made of either coconut fiber, straw or jute matting, they’re used to manage soil erosion and sediment runoff.
- Ground Cover Mats
Another eco-friendly track mat, Ground Cover Mats are designed to protect the ground from UV Sun rays, inclement weather and even moisture buildup. These mats come in several different designs and colors.
Here Are The Different Types Of Ground Protection Mats Based On Their Load Capacity
Not only can these track mats vary in their application, but also in load capacity. Keep in mind that their load capacity varies based on the design and construction of the mat. Check out the various types of track mats and how much they can handle:
Light Duty Mats
Typically designed for pedestrian traffic and small machinery, these mats have a load capacity that ranges from 1,000 to 4,000 pounds per square foot (PSF). It’s highly recommended that you use these mats for landscaping.
Medium Duty Mats
On the other hand, a Medium Duty Mat can handle light to moderately heavy machinery. They’re used at temporary roadways and have a load capacity ranging from 10,000 to 20,000 PSF.
Taking on the title as the heavy-weight champ, the Heavy-Duty Mats are designed to support heavy machinery and equipment. Their load capacity ranges from 40,000 to 100,000 PSF.
These Grass Protection Mats are primarily used for heavy-duty cranes and military sites. Clearly, they can handle extreme loads, with load capacities exceeding over 100,000 PSF.
The Many Benefits Of Using Protection Mats
Ground Surface Protection Mats come with a wealth of features that make them the ultimate tool to use in the workforce. They can be used in several different industries, come in a variety of sizes, designs and colors. Not to mention, they have load capacities exceeding well over 100,000 PSF. Clearly, they’re durable and heavy-duty construction can handle almost anything. Here are a couple of benefits to consider when investing in GPM:
- Lawn Protection: These mats can prevent heavy equipment damaging and can keep your lawn looking its best.
- Versatility: These Mats can be used on several different terrains, including soft soil, sand and gravel
- They Have Multiple Purposes: They can be used in various industries, making them a versatile tool
- They Prevent Accidents: They’re slip-resistant, reducing the number of accidents and self-injury
- Easy To Handle: Track Mats can be easily installed, removed and reused multiple times
- They Come In Various Styles: Lastly, Lawn Protection Mats come in various sizes and different levels of padding to choose from.
How to pick the best ground protection mats
Now that you know everything about Ground Protection Mats, you’re probably wondering which mat would best suit your needs. There are a few things to consider when choosing the right track mat.
- What Purpose Does It Serve?: Probably one of the most important questions you should ask yourself is what purpose does it serve? Remember that Ground Protection Mats offer various uses. Some are primarily used to prevent soil erosion while others protect the ground from heavy-equipment.
- How Big Is Your Lawn?: Another aspect to consider is the size of your yard. As mentioned before, grass protection mats come in various sizes, from small to medium to large. Make sure you choose the right size to prevent damaging your mats.
- What Type Of Terrain Do You Have?: Clearly, not every mat comes with the same features. Some mats can conform to uneven terrains but others may require a flat surface. Knowing what type of ground surface you have will help you in choosing the mat that’s best suited for your project.
- How Often Do You Use Your Mats?: Lastly, how frequently you use the mat is crucial in choosing the right one for your job. For instance, if you require a mat every now and then, using a smaller mat might be a better choice.
Making The Right Decision
At the end of the day, choosing the right Ground Protection Mat means considering all of your options. Knowing everything from its benefits, features, multiple purposes and even its load capacity can help you in making the right decision.